[Suggestion] In-Game Record Feature

Request help for teeworlds-related subjects (mapping, servers, ..).
For client issues, see our repositories (https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet/issues).
ToniTee

[Suggestion] In-Game Record Feature

Post by ToniTee »

Hello DDnet Community,

this is my first post here so I just want you to know that I'm from Germany :)

so first of all I want to say "thank you" to the people who are developing the "DDnet Client". For Mac users it offers very awesome and simple options to create Videos. I'm talking about HUD disable stuff etc.... .

But for me it's a huge waste of time to wait till my recordings are exported/rendered.
You have to imagine that recording and rendering on 0.1 timescale takes some time.

So I want to give you an example of a feature from an other game to explain my suggestion.

As you can see this is Call of Duty 4. When you open the console and type in "/cl_avidemo 60" the game takes a screenshot every 60th frame.

When you are finished recording you type in the console "/cl_avidemo 0".

After you've done that your screenshots are saved in a specific folder.
Those files look like this:

Now you can just import this sequence into your video editing software and work on it.

This is pretty much how that feature works for users.
And now I want to know if it's possible to bring this to DDnet Client.

Please tell me when theres anything unclear.

Greetings ToniTee
east

Re: [Suggestion] In-Game Record Feature

Post by east »

Hello ToniTee
Exporting image sequences isn't hard to implement. But I don't understand the usabillity of such a feature.
Now you can just import this sequence into your video editing software and work on it.
Let's say you have 60 fps and save every 60th frame, that would be one frame per second. How do you want to use those in a video?
You'll waste a lot of space on your harddrive and also there is no sound
ToniTee

Post by ToniTee »

east wrote:Hello ToniTee
Exporting image sequences isn't hard to implement. But I don't understand the usabillity of such a feature.
Let's say you have 60 fps and save every 60th frame, that would be one frame per second. How do you want to use those in a video?
You'll waste a lot of space on your harddrive and also there is no sound

I'm sorry for that. I wanted to say that it takes 60 frames per second.
And I'm editing videos like these : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4GNukB5Bbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJaslcRv50

The first video is a preview of an edit which isn't finished and the second one is a cancelled project.
I cancel projects because exporting takes too long.

And I don't have to care about my harddrive. I got 3TB for clips. And even when u have 50GB it's still possible to save your recorded clips because there is a software called Virtual Dub. Virtual Dub converts screenshot sequences into a video file. But I don't need Virtual Dub because I'm editing with After Effects.
After Effects is able to put multiple files with the same prefix into 1 file.

Shown here:

And then I got this 1 file right there:

edit: if the advantage of this feature is still unclear I can show it in a video so everybody understands
east

Post by east »

I personally would love to see more teeworlds related videos online. It is one of the best ways advertising for it, especially for ddnet. We already thought about adding a video export feature. Not only we could export image squences but also high quality h264 or webm encoded videos. However, it would take some time to implement. I can't tell you whether such a feature will be added in near future but we might have further discussions in the irc channel.
ToniTee

Post by ToniTee »

you think like me that tw videos are the best way to make it more popular.
so thank you very much ! I'm looking for to upload more teeworlds content when this feature comes out ;)
timakro
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/timakro/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/timakro/
Clan: unique

Post by timakro »

A demo to video converter would be the best solution in my opinion. But I know its dificult to make because a demo doesn't include graphics.
east

Post by east »

DoNe wrote:A demo to video converter would be the best solution in my opinion. [...]
That's what it would be.
ToniTee

Post by ToniTee »

yea the thing is that .tga sequences are rendering much faster.