DDraceNetwork Design Contest #2

Read, discuss and share announcements about any (official and non-official) teeworlds-related event or contest.
RayB.
Clan: TOP

DDraceNetwork Design Contest #2

Post by RayB. »

The DDraceNetwork Design Contest #2 is starting as of today.

hosted by RayB.

Information:
  • The theme of this contest will be spring.
  • The contest ends in 4 weeks on the 19th May.
  • You can't win something this time. There will be only a simple honoring for the first 3 places.
  • The community determines the winner through a poll.
Rules:
  • You can't copy or steal another design.
  • Don't put your name on the map.
  • Your map should have a good startroom size.(at least 50x20)
  • The design has to be teeish.
  • Give your best and have fun !
Everyone with a fitting design can participate, just send me a private message with the mapfile.

Good luck and have fun !
[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtube.com/watch?v=sbYJ4UeFUPU[/bbvideo]

SpoilerShow
Pipou #1
Stormphönix & Oreo #2
Silex #3

spring_pack
bonus_pack2

Last update: 19-05-2017
Last edited by RayB. on Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
┇»MiM«┇
Player profile: https://ddnet.tw/players/-9479--187-M-237-M-171--9479-/

Re: DDraceNetwork Design Contest #2

Post by ┇»MiM«┇ »

If i understand correctly, you can make your own quads,tilesets right?

Ps.Why a whole month ._.
jao

Post by jao »

RayB. wrote:Don't put your name on the map.
I'm out :D
RayB.

Post by RayB. »

┇»MíM«┇ wrote:If i understand correctly, you can make your own quads,tilesets right?

Ps.Why a whole month ._.
Exactly. I think 3 weeks time to create a design is a fair time to come up with something nice.
jao wrote:
RayB. wrote:Don't put your name on the map.
I'm out :D
:lol:
hi_leute_gll
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/hi-95-leute-95-gll/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/hi-95-leute-95-gll/
Clan: iMTG

Post by hi_leute_gll »

Maybe you should think about the failures of the last contest before you create the next one instantly.
.hi._.leute._.gll. | iMTGmember
RayB.

Post by RayB. »

hi_leute_gll wrote:The whole vote is ridicolous as soon as you add the creator's names. This community is way too biased.
Some get votes just cause they come from a certain country, others have many 'friends'...
hi_leute_gll wrote:Maybe you should think about the failures of the last contest before you create the next one instantly.
Which failures ? if you mean this post which I left unheeded. I will make the poll this time without names. If It helps dunno since you can just say which design you've made. When somebody shows support for a friend it's not our problem. It's their decision and their right to vote for the design they want. The most people are biased that has nothing to do with this forum or the fact that I've showed names. Also I don't think that the majority has voted for a design they didn't like ^^
pixe1 wrote: Afterall I've casted my vote for jao but everyone gl gl. There should be more creative tournaments like this in the future (maybe provide a map template next time? So everyone is plowing the ground and it's easier to compare the entries).
Cheers
Sorry for this late answer. I didn't read your whole post before because I thought It was only criticism for the entries. Anyway I'm not a big fan of this template idea. I think it makes everything look too similiar and limits the designer somehow. Also I don't know how to do a properly template. At all I would be happy if you could create an example template to show us how you imagined one to look like. Maybe I will create similiar ones. So that the participant can decide between different templates in the next contest.
pixe1
Clan: oиyx

Post by pixe1 »

RayB. wrote:...
it seems my feedback wasn't the only one you skipped.. why even start another tournament without hesitation anyways lol. There was many good points being made last time and you incorporated none. Instead you've added "Don't put your name on the map." which is a ridculous rule because it's like the only thing a map creater can do (ingame) to show the map's author. I hope we can see the entries ingame this time which for me is the whole point of the mapping contest. If all we see is a 4sec video snippet can I draw the whole thing in Photoshop instead?

Anyways back to the template suggestion: maybe don't make it an always occuring task but it could be interesting and challenging for the map creators. Just create a basic layout with a variety of shapes and elements (e.g. here I just cropped a part of dm1):

It would be challenging to incorporate these elements in a nice homogenous design, either by turning it into a rocky scenery or submerge the whole thing and make it a underwater theme with corals and shit just to name two examples. It's like giving the contestants a limited canvas to paint on which forces them to be creative.

You might be better off searching a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) guy to co-organize this stuff with you and discuss ideas etc. From all the interesting topics that we've never seen before in Teeworlds you chose "spring" which on the boring-barometer is next to "summer", "autumn" and "winter". Well that was my 2 cents 4 cents this time and don't see me being bitter here, I just see a lot of potential being ruined.
Last edited by pixe1 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jao

Post by jao »

Well written pixe1, I agree with all.
Asia was a bad theme already, but Spring is even more lame. I hope for the next contest you will choose a fancy theme (something that forces the mappers to be more creative). And please set the deadline of the contest to a specific time, so it doesn't end like the last one.
Good luck to everyone who wants to compete tho :)
RayB.

Post by RayB. »

pixe1 wrote:
RayB. wrote:...
it seems my feedback wasn't the only one you skipped.. why start another tournament without hesitation anyways lol. There was many good points being made last time and you incorporated none. Instead you've added "Don't put your name on the map." which is ridculous because it's like the only thing a map creater can do (ingame) to show the map's author.
You wanted to make the poll without names. If you put your name on the map like jao with his hanging letters. We can forget it and this was indeed suggested.
pixe1 wrote: I hope we can see the entries ingame this time which is the whole point of the mapping contest I suppose. If all we see is a 4sec video snippet can I draw the whole thing in Photoshop?
I doubt that everyone will download the maps to take a look on it. So It has first of all lower priority.
My intention is to have a simple not too competitive contest. I mean the competition is still important but I actually want many people to participate and share their thoughts.
It's btw only interesting for people with more knowledge like you. I think you are more interested how It looks like in the editor than how It looks like ingame. Sorry when Im wrong.
RayB. wrote:
Oblique. wrote:
pixe1 wrote:...
Agree, I wanna get my hands on the map files. Also nice critiques, spot on imo.
Then you should ask the mappers. I don't know if I have the permission to provide their maps for download.
Silex wrote:I want to use it in the future for something, so no.
Here you can even see how one participant reacted and I also know that another one didn't want his tileset to get used by other mappers.
So we stay with a video and add screenshots.
pixe1 wrote: Another thing I wanna add is that you might be better off searching a 2nd (or maybe 3rd) guy to co-organize this stuff with you and talk about ideas etc. From all the interesting topics that were never seen before in Teeworlds you chose "spring" which on the boring-barometer is next to "summer", "autumn" and "winter".

Might be not a bad idea interested people can pm me.
Back 2 topic, I can't come up with something special you can barely make something to. There aren't many tilesets for really exciting stuff but I have other themes saved which might be more interesting than spring but go in a similiar direction.
You should know I'm not only trying to make this contest interesting for experienced mappers. I try to get fair themes where unexperienced mappers also have a chance to take part.
The themes need to connect with the game imo. I can't come up with a super exciting theme and get 1-2 entries because they had to draw their own stuff. This would get ridiculous.

For your information,
I always ask for opinions on the themes. All people I've asked meant it would be cool. So why not, you would wonder but even someone suggested winter as a theme and it will definitly come in the right time :)
pixe1 wrote: Well that was my 2 cents 4 cents this time; don't see me bitter here, I just see a lot of potential being ruined.

Don't expect too much.
How I said, I want to keep the contests simple and easy.
So everyone can take part. If you are searching for a challenge try to make your design stand out. If I tell you that you have to create an underwater design in combination with another theme I'm taking over your assignment to be creative and present you 5-10 times the same design with different colors.
But if more people think like you I'm saying goodbye because that's not what I would like to see.
jao wrote:Well written pixe1, I agree with all.
Asia was a bad theme already, but Spring is even more lame. I hope for the next contest you will choose a fancy theme (something that forces the mappers to be more creative). And please set the deadline of the contest to a specific time, so it doesn't end like the last one.
Good luck to everyone who wants to compete tho :)
Ironically you said Asia would be a fitting theme when I've asked you for your opinion. If you want to see something fancy make something fancy. How I said It's your job to become creative and to stand out.
Silex
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/Silex/

Post by Silex »

Tbh it's really annoying and sad that this second contest gets spammed again with 'why is it like that, why do it like this?'.