Ibb & Obb Episode 1 by Jeremyer [Moderate]

Share your ddrace-related map with the community.
The official map testing moved to our discord (https://ddnet.org/discord).
Forum rules
You can join the official testservers and support the testing staff anytime.
Be sure to share your feedback in the appropiate discord channel.
  • Server PW: nimrocks
  • Rcon Access (F2): test4321
Jeremyer

Ibb & Obb Episode 1 by Jeremyer [Moderate]

Post by Jeremyer »

Hello Everbody,

So I have been playing around with tune zones and tried to implement the game mechanic from Ibb und Obb. If you know the Game Ibb & Obb you can guess what this map is about. I tried to implement the gravity changing behaviour for DDNet, which worked out more or less like I expected. Not perfect, but decent. I created a short map with this mechanic and I think, it turned out to be quiet fun. Once you get used to the physics, one should be able to do it in under ten minutes. My fastest with dummy was 11 min and I really didnt hurry up (changing stuff in the editor). The biggest flaw is that I could not change the hooking behaviour, which result in a little bit akward hooks in the pink zone. I would apreciate any feedback and ideas for improvements.

Noticablce think in this map:
  • Gravity switches when entering a different zone. (Green Zone = Normal Gravity, Pink Zone = Reversed Gravitiy)
  • Physics behaves differently than normal to make both zone feel similar when playing.
  • Only one Jump is available, but corners reset your jump. (Had to implement that because I had to reset jump at the ceiling in the Pink Zone)
  • Quads should not be disabled for this map, because some game information is given by quads. High detail can still be disabled.
Screenshot of the map
Old DesignShow
DDNet Map Ibb & Obb Ep. 1.png
DDNet Map Ibb & Obb Ep. 1.png (90.96 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
Current DesignShow
screenshot_2017-09-01_20-52-23.png
screenshot_2017-09-01_20-52-23.png (100.75 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
Tune Zone Commands I used (already set in the map editor) :
  • tune_zone 1 gravity -0.5
  • tune_zone 0 ground_jump_impulse 13.2
  • tune_zone 1 ground_jump_impulse -13.2
  • tune_zone 0 air_jump_impulse 13.2
  • tune_zone 1 air_jump_impulse -13.2
  • tune_zone 1 grenade_curvature -7
  • tune_zone 0 ground_control_speed 7
  • tune_zone 1 ground_control_speed 7
  • tune_zone 0 air_control_speed 7
  • tune_zone 1 air_control_speed 7
  • tune_zone 0 air_control_accel 2
  • tune_zone 1 air_control_accel 2
  • tune_zone 0 air_friction 0.7
  • tune_zone 1 air_friction 0.7
  • tune_zone 0 ground_friction 0.7
  • tune_zone 1 ground_friction 0.7
Map Download
Ibb&Obb Episode1.map
(178.19 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Edit: Changed Novice to Moderate in Title
Last edited by Jeremyer on Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ninjed
Player profile: https://ddnet.tw/players/Le-32-Petit-32-Prince/
Mapper profile: https://ddnet.tw/mappers/Ninjed

Re: Ibb & Obb Episode 1 by Jeremyer [Novice]

Post by Ninjed »

hard to play it tbh, also colors really painful
The Real One!
ΔWΞSƟΜΞ

Post by ΔWΞSƟΜΞ »

Ninjed wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm hard to play it tbh
Agree! - For me it isn't Novice, the gameplay is hard for novice AND moderate players, maybe for some brut player too tho.
Ninjed wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm also colors really painful
Disagree! - For a novice is the contrast really awesome, it looks like a troll map for me^^
maggi323
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/maggi323/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/maggi323/

Post by maggi323 »

I liked the map. I also think, that it might be too difficult for Novice, but moderate would fit very well. Maybe 2 stars.
Jeremyer

Post by Jeremyer »

ΔWΞSƟΜΞ wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm
Ninjed wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm hard to play it tbh
Agree! - For me it isn't Novice, the gameplay is hard for novice AND moderate players, maybe for some brut player too tho.
maggi323 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:04 pm I liked the map. I also think, that it might be too difficult for Novice, but moderate would fit very well. Maybe 2 stars.
Yeah, might be a little bit to hard for novice. I thought it was quiet easy, but thats propably because I played a lot around with those physics behaviour. I managed the map in under 10 mins with dummy. The jumping and switch between the zone fells similar to the original (I think at least), but it is completly different to regular teeworld, which maybe result in making it kinda hard for even experience players. I will change title to moderate for now.

ΔWΞSƟΜΞ wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm
Ninjed wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:08 pm also colors really painful
Disagree! - For a novice is the contrast really awesome, it looks like a troll map for me^^
I will change the color to make it more similar to the pink and turquoise of the original game which should result in making it less "painful".
Jeremyer

Re: Ibb & Obb Episode 1 by Jeremyer [Moderate]

Post by Jeremyer »

I changed the design of the map to fit better to the original and to make it hopefully less painfull.
SpoilerShow
screenshot_2017-09-01_20-52-23.png
screenshot_2017-09-01_20-52-23.png (100.75 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
I also fixed 2 corners of freezes to fit the freeze area designs.

Ibb&Obb Episode1.map
(185.3 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

It was a little hard to start, but 2 minutes in I got use to new physics and it was really fun to play. Except new physics which you need to understand, there is nothing really hard on this map. Anyway good job, finally some cool map ^^
jao

Post by jao »

Tested the map with Ravie.

Even though Vasten already used Ibb & Obb's gameplay in the UpNDown series, this map is quite unique. We always encurage mappers to tryout new ideas, however, most important is that maps are fun for a wide range of players. Sadly this one isn't very good for the players it's aimed at, thus I would suggest to map something more standard or to re-map it for a harder difficulty. I'm not sure about the tune-zones in general, sometimes they feel weird, especially if you need to use hook. Maybe a look into UpNDown's map settings helps here.

The map is pretty good for a first map, but the following issues make it too bad for a release. Note that they're particularly relevant for low tier players:

Gameplay:
  • New players aren't used to having only one jump. It's fine if that's the only different phsyic, but in combination with other changes it gets difficult to handle.
  • Client prediction only works properly if both players are in the same tune-zone. If they're in different zones, but have to interact with each other, the other one moves weirdly up and down. Of course this is a client issue and not caused by you, but it's still a problem.
  • There are multiple occasions where you can fail stupidly. For example after the first hammer-off you get thrown into freeze if you just walk right without spectating (and understanding) the part.
  • New features should be explained before playing the actual map. It's good practice to teach players those in an easy noob-filter. E.g. the first grenade part is hard to figure out.
  • Overall the parts are hard to understand, even if they are supposed to be basic ones. This can be solved with either mapping them in a way that shows easily what to do, or with adding explanations in the design. (Don't forget to add 'entities-off-signs')
  • Unsolo shouldn't be on the start-line, but in an area before it where you can team up with your mates.
  • The map should be large enough for big groups. For example the start area is way to small and will cause blocking. For this map forcing a certain team size would be good, since it's not made to handle more than two players anyway.
  • The noob-filter shouldn't be faily IMO. Using tele instead of freeze can be a simple improvement. Getting ported back instead of having to kill is less frustrating.
Design:
  • Hook and unhook colors should be inverted to not be confusing. Humans associate dark colors with negative things (not hookable) and light colors with positive things (hookable). This is especially important for players that don't know about entities.
  • Hookthrough should be easy to differentiate from unhook.
  • Same as hook/unhook colors goes for hammer-off/on markings. Also, see a detailed explanation on how to properly use 'ddnet-tiles' markings here.
  • Since you used two different background colors freeze can look like tele and vice versa. To solve this you can use different colors (not two shades of the same color), or a different marking style for each gametile.
  • The light grey overlay quad isn't large enough, thus it's cut off when you go far left, right, up and down.
  • Every mapres that's not in the vanilla client needs to be embedded. Those are marked as red in the 'Images' tab in the editor.
  • Custom graphics should be dilated to remove black pixels from their border. (Drag and drop the image file on dilate.exe)
Moving this to archive doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to try fixing the listed issues, but I wouldn't suggest it since mapping something new would make more sense.

PS: Please use the same map name for forum topic and mapfile :)