Better vote system

Tell us what ideas you have and what features you would like to see.
Zary
User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Better vote system

Post by Zary » Sun May 18, 2014 7:15 pm

How many of you has happened for this: are at half (or more)/ or for ending a map, someone comes to vote to change the map and all other guys accepted the vote ... and suddenly change the map and you say 'son of ...'. That's frustrating.

I think should be a better system of voting to change maps.

For example, checkpoints that indicate the progress of the players into a map and that way if they are at half (or more) then, the map can not be changed. Thus the progress of the players can not be ruined on the map by some pepople who wants change the map becouse they can't do the solo part and dont wanna go to another fucking server. This happens very often on servers in USA, idk if is the same history on the others servers (GER, RUS, etc).

This may involve some changes in many new maps (and old): add checkpoints or something to indicate the progress of a player on the map, idk its just an idea.

P.D. sorry for my english (sucks)

User avatar
deen
Retired Administrator
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Player profile: deen

Re: Better vote system

Post by deen » Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Yes, I've thought about this for quite some time and I don't know how to fix this. Do you want to add checkpoints in DDNet's 491 maps?

Another idea is to give players who are far in the race a veto vote, so they can immediately stop any map vote. But then the others will notice this and kick those players and vote the map afterwards. I think that's a general problem. If only some want to keep playing the map and most want to change, they will get it changed one way or the other.

Something else to consider: Votes should be transparent. Right now when the 50% line in the vote is crossed, the vote passes, otherwise not. That's simple and everyone understands it.

Generally on DDNet you never have to vote a map when someone is playing already. There's always another empty server. Maybe people just need to understand this. But I don't know how to improve the vote system.

Zary
User
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Re: Better vote system

Post by Zary » Sun May 18, 2014 10:21 pm

deen wrote: Yes, I've thought about this for quite some time and I don't know how to fix this. Do you want to add checkpoints in DDNet's 491 maps?
Of course no. :P
deen wrote: Another idea is to give players who are far in the race a veto vote, so they can immediately stop any map vote. But then the others will notice this and kick those players and vote the map afterwards. I think that's a general problem. If only some want to keep playing the map and most want to change, they will get it changed one way or the other.
That would be interesting !! 'Veto System' 8-)

User avatar
imp
User
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm
Player profile: imp
Mapper profile: imp

vote value

Post by imp » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 am

Don't you think that racing teams would have to much power then? For sure I leave server when others keep playing a specific map, but still. I'd rather recommend a system that multiplies the value of your vote: The longer you play the higher its value

Something like:
0-29 mins = 1
30-60 = 2
60+ = 3

And yeah, a system that checks your progress would be laborious because it must be individually fixed for each map and isn't global.

User avatar
deen
Retired Administrator
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Player profile: deen

Re: Better vote system

Post by deen » Mon May 19, 2014 12:08 pm

After some discussion with Saavik and aaa I implemented something for this issue and it's already running on the servers I managed to restart:
  • Votes can be reversed in case you mistakenly voted. So if someone says "Stop the vote, we're racing" you can change your vote from yes to no.
  • Votes take a bit longer. Right now it's 30 instead of 25 seconds.
I hope this helps with the issue a bit. People should discuss a bit before voting. Someone who's racing and doesn't want a map change can give reasons.
imp wrote:I'd rather recommend a system that multiplies the value of your vote: The longer you play the higher its value
This has a bit of a problem. When a big group of tees finished a long map, they have the most votes, so they can change map, while other tees, who are further behind, but still spent some time on the map, don't count as much.

User avatar
imp
User
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm
Player profile: imp
Mapper profile: imp

Re: Better vote system

Post by imp » Mon May 19, 2014 3:19 pm

deen wrote:
imp wrote:I'd rather recommend a system that multiplies the value of your vote: The longer you play the higher its value
This has a bit of a problem. When a big group of tees finished a long map, they have the most votes, so they can change map, while other tees, who are further behind, but still spent some time on the map, don't count as much.
I mean't their race time, not the time they spend on the server. When they finished it should reset

User avatar
deen
Retired Administrator
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Player profile: deen

Re: Better vote system

Post by deen » Mon May 19, 2014 4:56 pm

imp wrote: I mean't their race time, not the time they spend on the server. When they finished it should reset
If I add this to all votes then people will kick everyone who joins server. I guess it should be for map votes only.

Edit: But then slow or often afk players have an advantage in voting. It's unfair. Measuring how far in the map you are would be the way to go, but it's too hard to add in all maps. I think we should just keep 1 vote per person.

User avatar
imp
User
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:56 pm
Player profile: imp
Mapper profile: imp

Re: Better vote system

Post by imp » Tue May 20, 2014 10:35 pm

deen wrote:
imp wrote: Edit: But then slow or often afk players have an advantage in voting. It's unfair.
Aren't afk players excluded from votes? Got'ya :D (unless you mean afk players who return every min :/)

And yeah, it doesn't help to make the system more complicated. Just think about how humans screwed the nature, we shouldn't do the same with Teeworlds :)

Nigel
User
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 7:48 pm
Player profile: Nigel
Mapper profile: Nigel

Re: Better vote system

Post by Nigel » Thu May 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Perhaps it would be possible to redirect players to an empty server in the same country when they want to pass a map and the vote is not unanyme (and there is an empty server) and a kick-vote made possible only when all servers in the same country are busy. it includes that a player with the same ip can not be on multiple servers at once.

User avatar
deen
Retired Administrator
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 2:30 pm
Player profile: deen

Re: Better vote system

Post by deen » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Nigel wrote:Perhaps it would be possible to redirect players to an empty server in the same country when they want to pass a map and the vote is not unanyme (and there is an empty server) and a kick-vote made possible only when all servers in the same country are busy. it includes that a player with the same ip can not be on multiple servers at once.
Yes, that would be nice, but really difficult to build properly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest