Freezes in the game bcs of something in your client.

Request help for teeworlds-related subjects (mapping, servers, ..).
For client issues, see our repositories (https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet/issues).
annrial
Clan: DDMi

Freezes in the game bcs of something in your client.

Post by annrial »

DDNET is my favorite client (basically i`m playing ddrace and now gores as well). I`m playing these game already more than 8 years and i started to use ddnet just when i found it because i like it. I like that you can remove unnecessary colors in the game, hook collision option and other thing.

So, i'm not sure when it started but now i have something like lags/freezes/little delays in the game when i`m playing. Like every 20sec+- there is a little freeze for 0.1 sec+- and that's really annoying when u playing "gores maps" for example. To explain how i feel in the game, it's like when someone start to ddos a server so your ping jump up to 1000 but just for a short period of time (0.1sec +- as i said before). I'm not the only person who have such problem in your client after some last updates, one my friend told me that he downloaded old version (10.6.1) and he do not have there such problem, i will test it soon. Other person told me about "allthehaxx client" i tried it and really i do not have any problems with that client playing on same servers but i dislike client as client, there is a lot of not needed functions, it's too shiny and other.. So i just want to play with DDNET without lags. Help me please if u can. Right now i`m playing with that freezes. :cry:
GG Kid
Player profile: https://ddnet.tw/players/Bolto/
Clan: Kerger

Re: Freezes in the game bcs of something in your client.

Post by GG Kid »

you answered your own question; " ... he downloaded old version (10.6.1) and he do not have there such problem,"

i have freezes with the 10.X.X DDnet client, & longer ones with AllTheHaxx client, but only on One PC with windows 7, Linux Mint works without freezes but has more jitter. indeed the hardware & operating system makes a difference.

you might try other clients too like; H-client, K-Client as they are based off of the vanilla Teeworlds client.

you probably have a updated Windows 10 PC, that also has some issues getting worked out for us 'Community games'. do try the https://sourceforge.net/speedtest to see if you have any packet loss too my dear boy.
Chairn
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/Chairn/
Clan: QuintessenZ

Post by Chairn »

I agree that version 11 has some weird graphical freeze (both sdl2 and opengl3). You can stick to 10.x version if you want, no need to update client.
annrial

Post by annrial »

GG Kid wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:24 am you answered your own question; " ... he downloaded old version (10.6.1) and he do not have there such problem,"

i have freezes with the 10.X.X DDnet client, & longer ones with AllTheHaxx client, but only on One PC with windows 7, Linux Mint works without freezes but has more jitter. indeed the hardware & operating system makes a difference.

you might try other clients too like; H-client, K-Client as they are based off of the vanilla Teeworlds client.

you probably have a updated Windows 10 PC, that also has some issues getting worked out for us 'Community games'. do try the https://sourceforge.net/speedtest to see if you have any packet loss too my dear boy.
So i tested and i have 0 packet loss. Yea you are right about windows 10, i bought the official. I will try other clients but i think there will be not enough functions for me like in ddnet.
ᴷᵉᵏᶳ
Player profile: https://ddnet.tw/players/ᴷᵉᵏᶳ
Mapper profile: https://ddnet.tw/mappers/ᴷᵉᵏᶳ
Clan: ΛLIVΣ

Post by ᴷᵉᵏᶳ »

Assuming your PSU delivers enough electricity, and your GPU and CPU aren't overheating, I would tear the problem as following:

The possible slowest components in your computer are:

1. your network(if you lag or something, which might feel like a freeze). Solution: test if you lag on your home server.
2. your HDD/SSD. Solution: Disable all demo recording.(unplug all USB data storages, so the OS doesnt read from them)
3. Your RAM.
4. Your CPU, GPU.

for 3. and 4. try to disable all things that might theoretically cause any lag. Means:
cl_showchat 0
cl_showhud 0

Go into a team /team X (so other tees aren't rendered).

When all this doesnt help... Then it's either the OS (maybe you installed the current security update for meltdown/spectre bug fix. Can't tell if it changes the performance for some PCs)

Maybe a driver(audio etc. that blocks for some reason)- (But unlikely since you said old client version work fine)

Or it really is some insane loop in the client that causes this stuff.

Edit:
Oh and set either cl_refresh_rate to zero or gfx_refresh_rate or both.

If you want to limit the FPS only use one of them
deen
TECHNICAL Team
Player profile: https://ddnet.org/players/deen/
Discord: deen#5910

Post by deen »

Biggest change was that DDNet 11 on Windows writes output to console and logfile synchronously. Try disabling logfile and console and see if that improves the situation.
annrial

Post by annrial »

deen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:37 pm Biggest change was that DDNet 11 on Windows writes output to console and logfile synchronously. Try disabling logfile and console and see if that improves the situation.
Hmm, how to do that?
deen
TECHNICAL Team
Player profile: https://ddnet.org/players/deen/
Discord: deen#5910

Post by deen »

Code: Select all

logfile ""
cl_show_console 0
But actually I think you might have to start it with the --silent command line parameter.
annrial

Post by annrial »

ᴷᵉᵏᶳ wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:14 pm Assuming your PSU delivers enough electricity, and your GPU and CPU aren't overheating, I would tear the problem as following:

The possible slowest components in your computer are:

1. your network(if you lag or something, which might feel like a freeze). Solution: test if you lag on your home server.
2. your HDD/SSD. Solution: Disable all demo recording.(unplug all USB data storages, so the OS doesnt read from them)
3. Your RAM.
4. Your CPU, GPU.

for 3. and 4. try to disable all things that might theoretically cause any lag. Means:
cl_showchat 0
cl_showhud 0

Go into a team /team X (so other tees aren't rendered).

When all this doesnt help... Then it's either the OS (maybe you installed the current security update for meltdown/spectre bug fix. Can't tell if it changes the performance for some PCs)

Maybe a driver(audio etc. that blocks for some reason)- (But unlikely since you said old client version work fine)

Or it really is some insane loop in the client that causes this stuff.

Edit:
Oh and set either cl_refresh_rate to zero or gfx_refresh_rate or both.

If you want to limit the FPS only use one of them
About PSU - i don't think that's the problem, because i just bought/assembly new pc 1 year ago+- and i took PSU with a margin. Not sure about overheating, i have good water cooling and case ventilation but a.t.m i have some problems with water cooling so it might be a problem.
1)Never played/created my own server in Teeworlds but i will try it and i will test my network then, by the way i do not have any problems like mine in other games like (Dota2,CS:GO,PUBG) so there are doubts about PC problems.
2)Teeworlds is on mine main disk with windows (m2 ssd). I can try to shift it on other disk maybe. All demos are disables already. USB data storages? If you mean external storage then i don't have such only 2 ssd and 1 hdd inside of my pc.
3)Not sure how to test it. (Info: 1 strap with 16gb ram).
4) Periodically i'm using "techpower gpu-z and furmark" sometimes to check pc and a.t.m i haven't any problems, don't know what to try else to test it. (gtx 1070, i7-7700k).

5+) I will try that console commands and i will try to play solo in team (don't like to play solo, it's boring :D ) to test it. Can't understand what is meltdown/spectre bug fix. About drivers - i'm bad in this area so maybe that the problem, but i usually update everything related with nvidia and sometimes updates of windows 10 (i have official, so shouldn't have problems there). Btw previous version work fine but i played it on old PC hmm, there was windows 7. Everyday changing my refresh_rates to find most comfortable to play. :D

Thanks you for helping, i will try everything you told me with time.
annrial

Post by annrial »

deen wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 am

Code: Select all

logfile ""
cl_show_console 0
But actually I think you might have to start it with the --silent command line parameter.
So i need to write in console: logfile "" and cl_show_console 0, and try to play like that right? Btw how to turn console on again after? :D And where i need to write --silent? (Sry for stupid questions maybe :D)