DDNet Shutdown - What Now?

Read and discuss official announcements, information and news about the DDRaceNetwork.
Forum rules
Please consider wheter there is a more appropiate subforum before creating a new thread here.
This is for offical DDRaceNetwork-related information and discussion only.
Gaprik
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/Skyrel/
YouTube: user/Gaprik

Re: DDNet Shutdown - What Now?

Post by Gaprik »

That is a second problem we are trying to find a solution of ddnet :/
| Impact Co' Leader | mapper | 2nd best italian hf driver |
Spyker
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/Spyker/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/Spyker/

Post by Spyker »

Deen maybe you should write it some day before close ddnet, in official server section... So every player could help you... I loved all you did for ddnet, and I knew ddnet will die... But I expected a better death... Maybe with a final tournament.. Or just saying in 1.1.16 ddnet shut down...

That's not the end we want!
webshark25

Post by webshark25 »

hi_leute_gll wrote: The problem isn't to run a single server, the problem is the synchronization of servers all over the world.
see. GER / USA / RUS / Chile are the most popular ddnet server locations.
also ddnet have servers in other locations (brazil that has bad ping to foreign countries. also in china and brazil that also have bad ping to foreign countries cause of filtering.). now im supporting DDnet server in iran. so no more problems
i think 9 locations are enough for ddracenetwork. also as i told, i can handle in iran. i have friends that know russian language so no more problems with russia. in china, we can simply tell to TsFreddie so he would support us (if he dont helps anymore, i promisse we will find someone else xD)
so. what more?
@Spyker i agree.
Virus2k

Post by Virus2k »

Ok guys can we all stop posting, spamming useless stuff and only talk in this thread if something usefull happens etc? We all are disappointed, we all have the same feelings but to keep progressing we need to focus and gather usefull guys :p
So atleast please stop posting random stuff in this single thread, the other one already got 9+ pages because of that..
Deen is answering important questions here.
Thx alot
aaa

Post by aaa »

deen wrote:Wait, you guys are looking to host servers again? But when I asked you for help and said that I would shut down DDNet ~10 days ago, you wouldn't offer to help DDNet? So I guess you guys just wanted your own server project instead of DDNet, good luck with that. If there was ANYONE willing to keep DDNet running there would be no problem with keeping it running, but we searched for months and didn't find anyone. Setting up new servers is definitely more work than keeping DDNet running, so I guess this is not about the amount of work.
sorry but what?

i'm not sure if its badly worded or you're just too emotional right now but please don't act like we didn't try to find solutions, you know as well as i do that the main issue was the lack of a competent trusted guy.. it's not about the amount of work nor us wanting to part ways with ddnet by creating a new project..
you didn't want to lower ddnet's quality to make it less time consuming because it would have been like "rotting to an ugly death", which is completely fine. you didn't want to see ddnet change from its current state, so what were we supposed to do besides planning on how not to leave ddrace completely dead once you really decide to shut it down?
deen
TECHNICAL Team
Player profile: https://ddnet.org/players/deen/
Discord: deen#5910

Post by deen »

aaa wrote:i'm not sure if its badly worded or you're just too emotional right now but please don't act like we didn't try to find solutions, you know as well as i do that the main issue was the lack of a competent trusted guy.. it's not about the amount of work nor us wanting to part ways with ddnet by creating a new project..
you didn't want to lower ddnet's quality to make it less time consuming because it would have been like "rotting to an ugly death", which is completely fine. you didn't want to see ddnet change from its current state, so what were we supposed to do besides planning on how not to leave ddrace completely dead once you really decide to shut it down?
Find a competent guy who has time, same thing you're probably doing right now for your new project. If you could find someone, it would be no problem to keep DDNet running.
aaa

Post by aaa »

from what I understood after talking/asking a few people it's much easier running a server that's not connected to anything other than a website than running the whole ddnet as it is right now, is that wrong?
deen
TECHNICAL Team

Post by deen »

aaa wrote:from what I understood after talking/asking a few people it's much easier running a server that's not connected to anything other than a website than running the whole ddnet as it is right now, is that wrong?
Would be an easy change to make running the whole ddnet just as simple, would just cost more. I usually opted to have more work instead of paying for more and better servers. The difficulty is when something goes wrong, or when a tournament happens, ...

And from what it says in the FAQ you guys are planning multiple locations already, so I don't see the difference to DDNet.
Virus2k

Post by Virus2k »

Couldnt you keep DDNet running for the time we try to find "that" guy/putting new servers up so they can atleast play DDR?
If you have no time etc, im SUPER sure everyone would agree in that way that we can just play on ddnet without tournaments etc, without any special events etc etc.
Couldnt we try to keep ddnet with the minimal % number that something can fail while it will not rotten to death? Like putting in the minimal amount of work even for you, or for other guys.
deen
TECHNICAL Team

Post by deen »

Virus2k wrote:Couldnt you keep DDNet running for the time we try to find "that" guy/putting new servers up so they can atleast play DDR?
If you have no time etc, im SUPER sure everyone would agree in that way that we can just play on ddnet without tournaments etc, without any special events etc etc.
Couldnt we try to keep ddnet with the minimal % number that something can fail while it will not rotten to death? Like putting in the minimal amount of work even for you, or for other guys.
Yeah, that's what I did now. But I don't like the idea that no one is really working on DDNet, adding improvements etc.