Binary by Pulsar [Insane]

Share your ddrace-related map with the community.
The official map testing moved to our discord (https://ddnet.org/discord).
Forum rules
You can join the official testservers and support the testing staff anytime.
Be sure to share your feedback in the appropiate discord channel.
  • Server PW: nimrocks
  • Rcon Access (F2): test4321
RayB.
Clan: TOP

Binary by Pulsar [Insane]

Post by RayB. »

New map by Pulsar with graphics by Ravie

Description:
Binary is a long Insane map structured in 5 sections. The map contains a lot of new parts made possible by the different use of stopper & tunezones. Overall is the map a new challenge for better players because you need both brain & skill to pass this map.

Difficulty:
Insane ★★✰✰✰

Screenshots:
SpoilerShow

Map:
Binary.map
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 125 times

This map has been tested and is here so we can gain new opinions.
fokkonaut
Player profile: https://ddnet.tw/players/fokkonaut

Re: Binary by Pulsar [Insane]

Post by fokkonaut »

this looks... INSANE!
Last edited by fokkonaut on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forris
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/Forris/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/Forris/

Post by Forris »

definitely no release
Last edited by Forris on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jao

Post by jao »

Checked the map with Freezestyler and hi_leute_gll. We didn't test the whole gameplay, but there are a few things that need to be changed.

Design doesn't have enough contrast, it is hard to differentiate between unhook and hook often. Special markings such as stopper and solo are hard to see as they almost have the same color as background design elements.
There is no hint that the map has sound. Also, the Drops sound is so quiet that you can only here it with max sound volume. Not sure if really 6 different lamp sounds are needed.
The gameplay has some unbalanced parts and a lot parts look not fun, also a bit repetitive. I didn't see any new stopper and tunezone parts.

Sadly Pulsar doesn't want to follow any of our suggestions to fix these flaws. Because of that, the map doesn't meet the requirements to be released.
Mapper Rules wrote:If you want to release your map on DDNet you must follow these rules. If you do not follow them, your map will be declined.
[declined]jao & Freezestyler; Binary[/declined]
RayB.

Post by RayB. »

• The map follows all rules.
  • Nothing is repetitive.
  • When the map is unbalanced then not heavily. There isn't a problem with having an insane map with a few brutal 4-5 parts.
  • Adjust your monitor brightness if you have problems to see anything.
  • You don't need to hint that your map has music.
If your suggestions for the design don't get accepted you dont need to decline the map lel. The map is more than fine.
jao wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 pm The gameplay has some unbalanced parts and a lot parts look not fun, also a bit repetitive.
Please learn to critizize a map not only by its look.^
jao wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:34 pm I didn't see any new stopper and tunezone parts.
Since I had the pleasure to see you doing 1-2 of these tunezone parts. I know you didn't even figure out how to do them. ;) (same for 80% of the parts haha)
hi_leute_gll
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/hi-95-leute-95-gll/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/hi-95-leute-95-gll/
Clan: iMTG

Post by hi_leute_gll »

Mapper Rules wrote:Make your map fun! If your map is not fun, it will only be played once - for points. Therefore it is essential for your map to be free of any time wasting and boring parts.
People like Freezestyler who are the few able to play this map don't have fun with it.
Mapper Rules wrote:Your map must be balanced throughout the whole map (do not put a Brutal part in the middle of a Moderate map).
There are not only a few Brutal 4-5 parts...there are even Moderate parts in it, thus parts which are two servers lower in terms of difficulty.
Mapper Rules wrote:Every entity that the player should know about should likewise be clearly marked with a visible tile.
Some stuff like stoppers aren't cleary marked, since they look similar to the background-elements.
Mapper Rules wrote:The design must have appropriate contrast so that it is playable even without perfect light conditions. On the other hand, it should not be painful to look at.
There is obviously not much contrast. Also just turning up the brightness of the monitor is a bad hint, since the rules say that it should even be playable without perfect light conditions. Also brightness doesn't change the missing contrast.
.hi._.leute._.gll. | iMTGmember
jao

Post by jao »

The map offends these rules:
Mapper Rules wrote:Content:
3. Make your map fun! If your map is not fun, it will only be played once - for points. Therefore it is essential for your map to be free of any time wasting and boring parts.
5. Your map must be balanced throughout the whole map (do not put a Brutal part in the middle of a Moderate map).

Design:
1. Every entity that the player should know about should likewise be clearly marked with a visible tile.
2. The design must have appropriate contrast so that it is playable even without perfect light conditions. On the other hand, it should not be painful to look at.
If you don't understand the Mapper Rules or don't want to follow them, voice that somehow please.
RayB. wrote:If your suggestions for the design don't get accepted you dont need to decline the map lel. The map is more than fine.
He doesn't need to follow my exact suggestions, but he needs to follow the Mapper Rules, wich he doesn't want apperantly. (Sorry if that wasn't clear)
This is probably also a reason why you wanted to hide the map from a public audience and release it without others being able to critizise it. :D
RayB. wrote:Please learn to critizize a map not only by its look.^
Being experienced alows you often to tell, by just looking at parts, if they are good or not. I also played some parts of course.
Im 'corneum
Clan: ☭birming

Post by Im 'corneum »

Yeah... Better release yet another old-school right?
reply to this post or your mom will die in her sleep tonight
aaa

Post by aaa »

i havent played the full map yet since i had to go but i did around half of it and to me it was fun
there are definitely some unneeded parts that could use a change (for instance the teleport 6 hf is just a timewasting brutal ~3 hammerfly, quite boring) but the rest of the parts were solid drag parts. reminded me of increase/heartcore when they came out, mostly drag parts but mainly new challenging stuff

and obviously team 0 players are going to dislike that (the same way they'd dislike/disliked heartcore and ghoul) since you can't cheat every single part in team-forced 2 players map, harder to grab these precious points :? :?

about the design/sounds no idea since i played with entitites (but if players have to adjust their monitor's brightness in order to be able to play properly then that should rly be fixed lol, not everyone has proper settings/a decent monitor and the map should adapt to that, not the other way around)
RayB.

Post by RayB. »

hi_leute_gll wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:56 pm
Mapper Rules wrote:Make your map fun! If your map is not fun, it will only be played once - for points. Therefore it is essential for your map to be free of any time wasting and boring parts.
People like Freezestyler who are the few able to play this map don't have fun with it.
I'm able to beat this map and enjoyed it. Freezestyler isn't the only pro out there. Maybe other guys who would be able to beat this can share their opinions too B4 we lay everything on Freezestylers opinion.
Mapper Rules wrote:Your map must be balanced throughout the whole map (do not put a Brutal part in the middle of a Moderate map).
There are not only a few Brutal 4-5 parts...there are even Moderate parts in it, thus parts which are two servers lower in terms of difficulty.
Which parts are moderate?
Mapper Rules wrote:Every entity that the player should know about should likewise be clearly marked with a visible tile.
Some stuff like stoppers aren't cleary marked, since they look similar to the background-elements.
He fixed that.
Mapper Rules wrote:The design must have appropriate contrast so that it is playable even without perfect light conditions. On the other hand, it should not be painful to look at.
There is obviously not much contrast. Also just turning up the brightness of the monitor is a bad hint, since the rules say that it should even be playable without perfect light conditions. Also brightness doesn't change the missing contrast.
I had no problem to different between unhook/hook. So I suggested you to higher your monitor brightness. It's not that hard to difference so that he needs to change it. As simple as that.
jao wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:03 pm The map offends these rules:
Mapper Rules wrote:Content:
3. Make your map fun! If your map is not fun, it will only be played once - for points. Therefore it is essential for your map to be free of any time wasting and boring parts.
5. Your map must be balanced throughout the whole map (do not put a Brutal part in the middle of a Moderate map).

Design:
1. Every entity that the player should know about should likewise be clearly marked with a visible tile.
2. The design must have appropriate contrast so that it is playable even without perfect light conditions. On the other hand, it should not be painful to look at.
If you don't understand the Mapper Rules or don't want to follow them, voice that somehow please.
I'm fine with the rules. This map is fun, marked everything properly, has enough contrast & is good balanced. I just don't think he broke a rule which makes this map unreleasable.
jao wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:03 pm
RayB. wrote:If your suggestions for the design don't get accepted you dont need to decline the map lel. The map is more than fine.
He doesn't need to follow my exact suggestions, but he needs to follow the Mapper Rules, wich he doesn't want apperantly. (Sorry if that wasn't clear)
This is probably also a reason why you wanted to hide the map from a public audience and release it without others being able to critizise it. :D
It follows all rules. I didn't hide anything. It's posted here.
I'm more than sure that this map is perfect.
jao wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:03 pm
RayB. wrote:Please learn to critizize a map not only by its look.^
Being experienced alows you often to tell, by just looking at parts, if they are good or not. I also played some parts of course.
If you only would have seen yourself playing xD. Your experience may be enough to judge Mod/novice maps without playing them but to say parts are not fun in a map where you don't know how a single part works is terrible.

New version.
+changed the look of stopper
Binary.map
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 98 times
Edit: The parts always become a bit harder in every section and that's how It should be actually.